With the trend of SUV sales projected to only grow larger in numbers, many families are to the point at which they cannot even fathom getting a smaller vehicle. While SUVs, or Sports Utility Vehicles, are great for maneuvering in off-road conditions, carrying large cargos, and transporting lots of kids around to soccer games and other events, they are known gas guzzlers. With the rise of gas prices, most SUV manufacturers have been working around the clock to produce SUVs with better fuel efficiencies than previous models. Which SUVs, however, are the most fuel-efficient and affordable for mid-sized families?
- Ford Escape Hybrid: While technically considered a crossover vehicle, the Ford Escape Hybrid is available for $29,645 – $33,675 and boasts a fuel economy of 34 MPG in the city and 31 MPG on the highway. The Ford Escape Hybrid seats 5 passengers and has plenty of cargo space, though the seats aren’t as versatile as those found in similar vehicles and the vehicle lacks traction. However, the Ford Escape Hybrid does features a smooth transmission and voice-operated controls.
- Mini Cooper Countryman: While not known for its extensive cargo space, the Mini Cooper Countryman is available for $21,000 and gets a fuel economy of 27 MPG in the city and 35 MPG on the highway. With 5 doors, direct injection, and a turbo-charged engine, the Mini Cooper Countryman seats only 4 passengers and is known to have a noisy engine.
- Nissan Juke:A true crossover vehicle, the Nissan Juke is built to be both stylish and comfortable. The Nissan Juke has an MSRP of $19,990 – $26,080 and a fuel economy of 27 MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway. With only 3 doors, the Nissan Juke seats up to 5 passengers and has limited cargo space, but makes up for its limitations with a modern interior and glossy exterior.
- Toyota Highlander Hybrid: For those who need a bit more seating capacity, the Toyota Highlander can seat up to 7 passengers, with plenty of head and leg room for everyone. This SUV has an excellent, versatile interior that can fold and move around to maximize cargo space, and has a fuel economy of 20 MPG in the city and 25 MPG on the highway. With an MSRP of $28,240 – $37,195, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid features a powerful, yet quiet engine and modern technology that any driver is sure to love.
- Mitsubishi Outlander Sport: One of the best SUVs for any family, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is available for just $18,795 – $23,295 with a fuel efficiency of 24 MPG in the city and 31 MPG on the highway. The Mitsubishi Outlander Sport seats up to 6 passengers and has plenty of cargo space, while all of the passenger seats can fold completely flat to maximize storage space. Though it’s not the most stylish SUV on the market, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is handsome enough and modern interior technologies provide drivers with everything they need in terms of navigation and communication.
Author Bio: Brandon is from Motorscore.com, the world’s leading car review aggregator.